Assistant to the Director
The Palo Alto History Museum seeks a part- to full-time nonprofit professional experienced in development, marketing and administrative support.
Incorporated in 2004 as a nonprofit to establish a history museum for the City of Palo Alto, the Palo Alto History Museum (PAHM) is focused on fundraising in order to renovate the historic Roth building, then install and operate an interactive museum. The capital campaign goal is $20 million, of which half has been raised. The board of directors is comprised of community-minded individuals passionate about creating the first museum to share the remarkable stories of Palo Alto and Stanford. PAHM staff includes a full-time executive director and a part-time assistant, with additional contract workers as needed.
The Assistant to the Director reports to and partners with the executive director to support, help create and help manage all fundraising, marketing and administrative efforts. Dedicated volunteers assist in related areas. We ask for 3+ years nonprofit experience; museum-related degrees and work experience a plus. This is a terrific growth position.
• Maintain donor database (LiveImpact) and produce regular reports. Process and acknowledge gifts.
• Responsible for in‐house graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite). Oversee production and distribution of publications. Draft and design materials including letters, forms, envelopes, emails, reports, newsletters, member cards, greeting cards and other collateral and donor communications. Organize communications and mailings.
• Research possible grants in accordance with the museum’s mission, draft grant proposals.
• Assist with capital and special campaign planning and execution, including all aspects of special event support.
MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS
• Oversee day‐to‐day operation of museum technology needs; seek appropriate help from IT consultant when needed.
• Manage, trouble shoot and update web page (WordPress). Manage relevant budgets and analytics (Google Analytics).
• Draft and distribute press releases.
• Curate content and posting to social media sites.
• Choose where to advertise (print and digital) based on audience and reach, contract with outside vendors.
Assist the executive director as requested. Oversee day‐to‐day office operations, including managing office supplies; receive, date stamp and distribute mail; manage bulk and regular outgoing mail; manage calendar. Respond to donors and volunteers by phone and email. Proficiency in MS Office.
Part- to full-time. Estimate 24-40 hours weekly. Schedule requires min. one day/week on site, subject to programming needs. No office provided, but can work at our archive on our laptop. Work from home as needed to meet project deadlines. $25-35/hour commensurate with experience. Non‐exempt (hourly). PTO provided; no other benefits.